Horse of the Americas Message Board

Welcome to the HOA Message forum. Feel free to post a message.
Please post photos in the Photo Center. Click on Return to Website; then click on Photo Center.

Horse of the Americas Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
? about being a recognized breed?

Just a question here, I was on a forum site recently where several members were stating that Spanish Mustangs, and the strains that go along with them are not recognized as a "breed" even tho generations of pedigree can be show and have been registered for over 50 years. One woman even quoted Dr. Cothran as saying they were a "type" of Spanish horse, and that they have never been considered a breed. HMM, ok well if that is the case I asked how does she consider a QH a "breed" as they were of "mixed Heritage" too. Several then quoted that QH bred to a QH breed consistent conformations,and Spanish horses do not. HMMM I said again, then can you explain why there are 14 hand reining QH's and 16 hand dressage QH and halter bred QH's that look like weight builders? HMMM no reply Is there an answer here that will qualify Colonial Spanish horses as a "breed"? And if they are not a breed how do they get on the ALBC list?

Re: ? about being a recognized breed?

I think the fact that they are on the ALBC list is as good an answer as any. The Andalucian is also a type of Spanish Horse and I doubt that anyone would argue that they are not a breed.

Re: ? about being a recognized breed?

A lot of people like to quote Dr Gus, usually out of context because he usually doesn't rebuke them for misusing his words. The US Government accepted the Spanish Mustangs as a breed back in 1957.