Horse of the Americas Message Board

Welcome to the HOA Message forum. Feel free to post a message.
Please post photos in the Photo Center. Click on Return to Website; then click on Photo Center.

Forum: Horse of the Americas Message Board
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Sandi's "Giraffe" marked mare, Riley

Wow - those are crazy markings. I had an odd marked mare once that Dr. Phil had not seen before, but she was a grade horse, not CS. She really looks like a Giraffe! Not the typical "lacing" you see on some horses. Do you mind if we share these photos in other forums?

Email  

I don't mind.

What is Riley's breeding?

Email  

Mostly CS and a bit just mustang I don't know the ancestry.

You're welcome, Gretchen and Sandi. I will eventually move the other horse photos over to this Flickr page too. After I finish my school term.
Shiela

Email  

I wonder if this could be a new or extremely rare appy colour gene? Or a throwback... She looks stunning!!

This one is indeed odd! If you look closely, the marks seem to be just like dapples, only reversed. Most dapples are lighter than the base coat. Some roan horses get dark dapples, and this might be what is going on, but then she is a VERY unusual roan because of the distribution of the roan areas. Donkey roans do this routinely, but this ain't no donkey!

Phil

Email  

Wow! The uniformity of the pattern is what makes this just jump out at you. What color were its parents?

Have to remember this is a place where horses are allowed to run wild. Her mother is a gray, very light looks white almost. the only possibilities to be her father could have been a very light blue roan colt, or a very light dun roan colt, the dun paint (Jefito), or her half brother, a light gray with a few fading appy spots on his butt. These were all young boys out here at the time. I know the dun paint, and the light dun roan, were both pretty determined at a young age and fathered a few foals, the other two were not so, and don't know of either one of them siring any foals, though I could be wrong.

Could this be a new color mutation? The spanish Colonial Horse since its return to the birthplace of the horse has produced several original colors not found in Old World horses.
One could almost see this pattern as protection against airborne predators. Which then lends itself to the suggestion that it might be a throwback to an even older bloodline....like prehysterical? ;)

Fabulous markings! Has she been bred, or will she be?

If she has had foals, what colours were they?

If she will be bred, please post pictures of her offspring. We'd love to see if this pattern will be passed on!

Susan

Shadowynd Ranch

Email  

I second that motion...if I were rich and famous...well if I win the lottery..LOL...I would love to know if UC at Davis could do a DNA test on her and find out if its a new color or a mode of an existing color.

Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Counters & Site Stats   Online Photo Albums   Free Web Tools 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com