Prayer, Art, Devotions, Bible Studies, Friends
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BIBLE STUDY - Make Peace

BIBLE STUDY - Make Peace
Date: Mar 2, 2011
Topic(s): Christian Living/Situational
Scripture: Ephesians 4:1-3, 1 Thessalonians 5:11-14, Colossians 3:12-15, Romans 12:15-18

We love to talk about the vague goal of "world peace." It's a running line for beauty queens, politicians and those lost in a haze of idealism. But while "world peace" may sound impossible, you can bring more peace to your world. How? Follow God's example and practice patience (longsuffering).

What Does God Say?
Patience (or longsuffering) is critical to creating peace in our relationships and circumstances. In Ephesians 4:1-3, Paul links the two. "I therefore, a prisoner for the Lord, urge you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling to which you have been called, with all humility and gentleness, with patience, bearing with one another in love, eager to maintain the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace" (ESV).
Another translation puts it like this: "Always be humble and gentle. Be patient with each other, making allowance for each other's faults because of your love. Make every effort to keep yourselves united in the Spirit, binding yourselves together with peace" (Ephesians 4:2-3, NLT).
Being patient with the faults and differences of others makes it possible to build unity and create peace in our relationships. How? When you exercise patience, you defer your anger. You have time to think and to be pro-active, time to in find a solution instead of being reactive and unproductive.
Colossians 3:12-15 tells us, "Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another and, if one has a complaint against another, forgiving each other; as the Lord has forgiven you, so you also must forgive. And above all these put on love, which binds everything together in perfect harmony. And let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, to which indeed you were called in one body. And be thankful" (ESV).

My Thoughts

Go back over Colossians 3:12-15.
* List the things we're to "put on" and describe how you demonstrate each one.
* Why do they fit together?
* How might each quality impact a relationship and bring about peace?
Romans 12:15-18 and 1 Thessalonians 5:11-14 also offer ways patience can bring peace in your relationships.
* What's the end goal we're trying to reach?

My Part

Let's be honest, our lack of patience comes from two areas.
1. Selfishness--I focus on my wants, my wishes, my way; and when other people don't fall into that agenda, I'm upset.
2. A demand for immediacy--not just what I want but when I want it.
* Which of these is usually the source of your impatience?
* What fall-out have you experienced because of this?
* What can you change about that today?
Think of a relationship or situation where a little patience on your part could have produced peace. What happened? If you exercised patience, what would have changed? What solutions might you have found? What's keeping you from making it right?
Patience (or longsuffering) is not something we can manufacture on our own. It comes as we let the Holy Spirit guide, influence and intervene in our lives. As you consider patience and peace, ask the Holy Spirit to do His work in your life. Committing Ephesians 4:1-3 or Colossians 3:12-15 to memory can be a great way to be ready for the next time you need patience and peace.
http://www.bibleminute.org/content.php/15

NOTICE: I got permission from "Back To The Bible" to "copy & paste" their devotionals and Bible studies to the Christian groups I belong to. This Bible Study or Devotional is solely penned and/or owned by the person(s) or ministry who's website(s) is included.

Bible Minute with Woodrow Kroll ... Back to the Bible, Bible Studies
http://www.bibleminute.org/biblestudy.htm Copyright © 1996-2009 The Good News Broadcasting Association, Inc. (Back to the Bible) Lincoln, Nebraska, USA Used by permission. All rights reserved http://www.backtothebible.org/
The Copyright Policy website: http://www.backtothebible.org/index.php/Web-Site-Copyright-Policy.html