Prayer, Art, Devotions, Bible Studies, Friends
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BIBLE STUDY - Learning to Listen

BIBLE STUDY - Learning to Listen
Date: Feb 28, 2011
Topic(s): Bible Study/Theories
Scripture: Deuteronomy 11:18, Psalm 119:129-136, Psalm 119:41-48, Romans 8:26-27, John 14:10, Deuteronomy 30:19-20, John 1:14, John 14:26, Psalm 119:1-16, Psalm 119:89-104, Psalm 1:1-2, John 10:27, 1 Samuel 3:10

Connecting with God is like connecting with a friend or a family member. It's a two-sided conversation. You call, email and talk to friends; but you also listen, pay attention and try to understand them. We need to make sure that we do those things in our relationship with God. Not only do we talk to Him (prayer), but we listen, pay attention when He speaks and try to get to know Him and understand Him by reading His Word.

What Does God Say?
Throughout the Old Testament, you see God speaking to His people as individuals as He gives the Law, as He uses the prophets and the psalmists to reveal His heart and will to them. "'You shall therefore lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul, and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand'" (Deuteronomy 11:18, ESV). What God wants you to hear is right in front of you in the Bible. That's essential as Deuteronomy 30:19-20 says, "'Therefore choose life, that you and your offspring may live, loving the LORD your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days'" (ESV).

In the New Testament, we discover that Jesus is the Word of God. "And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father" (John 1:14, ESV). And Jesus' words come from God, as He explains in John 14:10, "'The words that I say to you I do not speak on my own authority, but the Father who dwells in me does his works'" (ESV).

And we have help: the Holy Spirit teaches us through the Word of God. "'But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you'" (John 14:26, ESV). Plus, the Holy Spirit can bring to God all the things we have trouble saying. Romans 8:26-27 tells us, "Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God" (ESV).

My Thoughts

Hearing from God takes the discipline of quiet, waiting and meditating, not the kind of meditating where you empty your mind or make a buzzing sound; but where you focus attention on God, His presence and His Word. Psalm 1:1-2 gives this picture:

"Blessed is the man
who walks not in the counsel of the wicked,
nor stands in the way of sinners,
nor sits in the seat of scoffers;
but his delight is in the law of the LORD,
and on his law he meditates day and night" (ESV).

Read sections of Psalm 119:1-16; 41-48; 89-104; 129-136.

* What are some of the descriptions of God's Word (or law)?
* Why should you pay attention to them?
* What does God do for His people through His Word?
* Does the writer reflect how you listen for God? What's the same? What's different?

My Part

The next time you go to God (prayer), don't do all the talking but try to listen instead. Borrow Samuel's prayer from 1 Samuel 3:10: "And Samuel said, 'Speak, for your servant hears'" (ESV). Be silent, but focus on God. Keep your Bible handy so when the Holy Spirit prompts you, you're ready. And once you've heard, you're to follow and obey. Jesus said, "'My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me'" (John 10:27, ESV).
http://www.bibleminute.org/content.php/15

NOTICE: This Bible Study or Devotional is solely penned and/or owned by the person(s) or ministry who's website(s) is included.

Bible Minute with Woodrow Kroll ... Back to the Bible, Bible Studies
http://www.bibleminute.org/biblestudy.htm