Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BIBLE STUDY - God's Judgment

BIBLE STUDY - God's Judgment
Date: Jan 24, 2011
Topic(s): Holiness, God
Scripture: Genesis 19:24-25, 2 Peter 3:9, Genesis 18:20-21

Why do bad things happen to good people? Why do good things happen to bad people? Those are not easy questions, and the Bible does not always provide an answer or understanding that satisfies us. But there is a question the Bible does answer to our satisfaction: Why do bad things happen to bad people? Let's see what the Bible teaches.

What Does God Say?

"So the Lord told Abraham, 'I have heard a great outcry from Sodom and Gomorrah, because their sin is so flagrant. I am going down to see if their actions are as wicked as I have heard. If not, I want to know " (Genesis 18:20-21, NLT).

* What is it that attracted the attention of God to Sodom and Gomorrah?
* What do you think might be the cause of the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah?
* Who do you think might have been the source of that outcry?

My Thoughts

After seeing or hearing the news reports regarding school shootings, child abductions, home invasions and all the other horrifying incidences happening today have you ever asked, "Why does God let such wicked things keep happening?" The more conscious you are of how ungodly our world is, the more that question can haunt you. When will God ever punish the evildoers? We know that at the end of time, God will judge all those not in Christ for the sins they have committed. But there are times even now, before the final judgment, when God says to the wicked, "That's enough."

And that is what happened to Sodom and Gomorrah.

"Then the Lord rained down fire and burning sulfur from the sky on Sodom and Gomorrah. He utterly destroyed them, along with the other cities and villages of the plain, wiping out all the people and every bit of vegetation" (Genesis 19:24-25, NLT).

Why do you think the destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah was justified?

My Part

The judgment of God is a terrible thing, but His heart is always turned to mercy if we will repent and respond to His grace.

"The Lord isn't really being slow about his promise, as some people think. No, he is being patient for your sake. He does not want anyone to be destroyed, but wants everyone to repent" (2 Peter 3:9, NLT).

Now would be a good time to turn to God in repentance (because our sins grieve His heart), in gratitude (because His mercy is extended to us) and in worship (because He is a God of judgment and love).

If you don't know this God, click on "Meet Jesus." to find out more about how your sins can be forgiven.

NOTICE: This Bible Study or Devotional is solely penned and/or owned by the person(s) or ministry who's website(s) is included. May the Holy Spirit give you understanding as you read this Devotional/Study!

Bible Minute with Woodrow Kroll ... Back to the Bible, Bible Studies
http://www.bibleminute.org/biblestudy.htm