Prayer, Art, Devotions, Bible Studies, Friends
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BIBLE STUDY - The Value of Godliness

BIBLE STUDY - The Value of Godliness
Date: Jan 21, 2011
Topic(s): Holiness
Scripture: 1 Peter 3:10-13, Galatians 5:22-23, Psalm 32:5-6, Proverbs 29:24, Proverbs 22:5, Proverbs 16:29, 1 Corinthians 15:33, Psalm 4:3, Proverbs 13:20, Proverbs 20:19, Proverbs 22:24-25, 2 Timothy 3:1-5, 1 Timothy 4:7-8

The arrival of the Sandhill Cranes in Nebraska each spring is a sight never to be forgotten. Hundreds of thousands of the great, graceful birds flock to the central part of the state to gather together in fields and lakes for a time of feeding before they continue their long migration.

Another event involving birds that occasionally draws attention is the ominous, soaring, circling of several huge turkey vultures as they zero in on a dead or dying animal below.

Now, you'll notice that the cranes don't spend time flying with the vultures and the vultures are not at all interested in hanging around with live cranes.

Several centuries ago, an observant person came up with the proverb: "Birds of a feather flock together."

And that relates to what we want to think about today in our Bible Minute. People are not cranes or vultures, but people do tend to hang out with their own crowd. When that happens, they tend to become more and more like their companions.

What Does God Say?

Part of God's will for His people is that they reflect His glory and His character. The Holy Spirit works in the life of Christians to make them more like God. God-likeness or godliness ought to be the mark of every believer. First Timothy 4:7-8 (ESV) says, "Have nothing to do with irreverent, silly myths. Rather train yourself for godliness; for while bodily training is of some value, godliness is of value in every way, as it holds promise for the present life and also for the life to come."

So, how do you become a godly person? Well, you have to spend time with God. You need to be His constant companion. How do you spend time with Him? You hear from Him through His written Word and you fellowship with Him in prayer. The Bible says,

"But know that the LORD has set apart the godly for Himself;
the LORD hears when I call unto Him" (Psalm 4:3 ESV).

The Bible speaks plainly about the dangers of spending your time with companions that drag you down into ungodliness. First Corinthians 15:33 ( ESV) says, "Do not be deceived: 'Bad company ruins good morals.'" What kinds of wrong company can you spot in the following verses? Make a note of each.
* Proverbs 13:20
* Proverbs 16:29
* Proverbs 20:19
* Proverbs 22:5
* Proverbs 22:24-25
* Proverbs 29:24
* 2 Timothy 3:1-5 (note especially the last warning in verse 5)

On the other hand, godliness comes from being in the presence of God. If sin in a Christian's life has disrupted communication with God, then he or she must do what David did, recorded in Psalm 32:5-6 (ESV):

"I acknowledged my sin to you,
and I did not cover my iniquity;
I said, 'I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,'
and you forgave the iniquity of my sin. Selah
Therefore let everyone who is godly
offer prayer to you at a time when you may be found"

My Thoughts

John Gilmour, a godly British man who loved to witness for Christ, always carried Gospel books to give to people as he had opportunity.

One day Gilmour was walking through a village when he came across an old Irishman selling lids, kettles and saucepans. Gilmour greeted the man,

"Good morning, how is business today?"
"Oh, I can't complain," the Irishman said.
Then Gilmour remarked, "What a grand thing it is to be saved!"
The old man looked at him and replied, "I know something better than that."
"Better than being saved? I would like to know what that is."
Smiling warmly, the man responded, "The companionship of the Man who saved me, sir."

My Part

Which companions are most influential in your life right now? Are you "training yourself for godliness" as 1 Timothy 4:7-8 says? What does your training regime include?
* Prayer?
* Regular Bible study?
* Confession of all known sin?
* Meditation on the person and presence of Christ?
* Enjoyment of the fruit of the Spirit (Galatians 5:22-23)?
If you are missing one or more of these, add it to your regime today.

NOTICE: This Bible Study or Devotional is solely penned and/or owned by the person(s) or ministry who's website(s) is included. May the Holy Spirit give you understanding as you read this Devotional/Study!

Bible Minute with Woodrow Kroll ... Back to the Bible, Bible Studies
http://www.bibleminute.org/biblestudy.htm