Grannyfaith Message Board

Prayer, Art, Devotions, Bible Studies, Friends
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
TIME WITH GOD'S WORD - Listen Carefully to What I Say

TIME WITH GOD'S WORD - Listen Carefully to What I Say

Acts 2:14-21
Then Peter stood up with the Eleven, raised his voice and addressed the crowd: "Fellow Jews and all of you who live in Jerusalem, let me explain this to you; listen carefully to what I say. These men are not drunk, as you suppose. It's only nine in the morning! No, this is what was spoken by the prophet Joel: 'In the last days, God says, I will pour out my Spirit on all people. Your sons and daughters will prophesy, your young men will see visions, your old men will dream dreams. Even on my servants, both men and women, I will pour out my Spirit in those days, and they will prophesy. I will show wonders in the heaven above and signs on the earth below, blood and fire and billows of smoke. The sun will be turned to darkness and the moon to blood before the coming of the great and glorious day of the Lord. And everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.' "

Thoughts for Today:

I am teaching my five year old daughter Amanda to read. She is really excited before every lesson, but most times she has far too much physical energy to concentrate effectively. So at the beginning of each lesson we talk about concentrating, sitting still, only discussing our lesson, and ignoring all other distractions. Her attention span is limited (usually about 20 to 30 minutes), so we have to go quickly, and when we come to the end of the time limit, it's usually a waste of energy to go on -- so I've learned to close on time. That's what Peter is offering to us in these verses, instructions on how to teach and how to learn.

The first example Peter gives us is to stand up and raise his voice. He did this to get everyone's attention. Correspondingly the initial step of learning is to set aside time for study of the Bible; then place all of your attention and focus on the Word; while making sure to eliminate distractions.

Next, he focused the crowd on his intent and what their benefit might be (understanding), "let me explain this to you." When you study Scripture, focus on understanding and application, don't read it like a novel. Sure there is a story, but behind the story is depth and richness. Take it in small bites, 2-4 verses at a time. When you read these verses, pray and ask how you might apply them in your life today.

Thirdly, the Bible is the Word of God. Don't take anything lightly and as Peter instructs, "listen carefully to what I say." Pay attention to sentence structure and context -- it was written this way for a reason -- God's reason. Finally, look up the cross references -- get a good Bible concordance. Peter models this concept when he tells us, "This is what was spoken by the prophet Joel." If you want to clarify something, find out what the Bible says about itself.

These are the keys to successful Bible study and understanding. I have one last comment I wanted to repeat based on my experience with Amanda: Set a time limit and finish on time. You will not look forward to your study time (nor will your children and spouse) if it is open ended or goes on and on (you will keep putting it off because you don't have the time). If you've set 20 minutes as your time limit, then say to your wife or husband, "I need 20 minutes of quiet time." Provided you finish on time consistently, setting aside 20 minutes will not be a problem even in the busiest of households. You and your family will all be richly blessed by following Peter's simple steps to a successful study.

Questions to Ponder:

What do you need to do to get started on a daily quiet time? What have been some of the obstacles in the past? Will you give this method a try for one week and see how it works for you? When will you start?

POCKET DEVOTIONS. TIME WITH GOD'S WORD.
NOTICE: This Bible Study or Devotional is solely penned and/or owned by the person(s) or ministry who's website(s) is included. May the Holy Spirit give you understanding as you read this Devotional/Study.

Copyright©2010 by the Pocket Testament League. All rights reserved
www.pocketpower.org