Prayer, Art, Devotions, Bible Studies, Friends
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
BIBLE STUDY - Faithfulness Shortage

BIBLE STUDY - Faithfulness Shortage
Date: Nov 4, 2010
Topic(s): Faith/Trust, God's Care, Christian Living/Situational
Scripture: Psalm 86:15, 1 Thessalonians 5:24, 2 Thessalonians 3:3, Psalm 145:13, Genesis 9:11-16, Psalm 153:1, Psalm 91:4, 1 Corinthians 10:13, 1 John 1:9

On a scale of one to ten, how faithful (trustworthy, reliable, loyal) do you think the people you meet every day at work or at school or in the marketplace are? Think of number one as not at all faithful and number ten as faithful all the time. Now, where would you rank your personal faithfulness level?

The thing is, faithfulness isn't really as common as we'd like it to be. If faithfulness means keeping our promises, following through on our responsibilities, being committed and reliable--someone others can count on--then we're all in trouble. You can probably even give specific instances when you (or someone else) failed to be faithful.

WHAT DOES GOD SAY?

The good news is, God is not just like we are. He never scores a one in faithfulness. He is faithful all the time, no matter what we do in return. And when you feel like everyone has left you in the dust, when no one cares or keeps their commitments to you, God is still faithful.

Just look at the experiences recorded in the psalms. Over and over the writers reflect the hardship of living with unfaithful people, but they come back to the sure knowledge that God never fails to be faithful. For example, faced with enemies, betrayers and faithless people, David goes to God in Psalm 86:15 and says,

"But you, O Lord, are a God merciful and gracious,
slow to anger and abounding in steadfast love and faithfulness" (ESV).

God is the only one who can ever be perfectly faithful. And when that's what you need, do as David did and go to God:

"Hear my prayer, O Lord;
give ear to my pleas for mercy!
In your faithfulness answer me, in your righteousness!" (Psalm 143:1, ESV).

God is not only your source of faithfulness, He's also your model. As His children, we have a responsibility to become faithful people too. Faithfulness should become fruit in our lives, evidence that the Holy Spirit is at work in us (Galatians 5:22). That's the challenge.

MY THOUGHTS

How does God show His faithfulness to us? Check out these verses for some ideas.

Genesis 9:11-16

Psalm 91:4

Psalm 145:13

1 Corinthians 10:13

2 Thessalonians 3:3

1 John 1:9

Some of these things only God can do. But based on what you've seen of God's faithfulness, what can you do to be a faithful person?

MY PART

There is definitely a shortage of faithfulness in our world. But you can make a difference. Is there someone who needs your forgiveness? A promise you need to keep? What about sticking with a task or following through on something God has called you to do? Maybe it means just turning up on time or being prepared for that Bible study you attend. Perhaps you need to talk to your friend or your spouse and find out just what they need from you in terms of faithfulness.

Being faithful isn't easy; it means going against the flow in many ways. But there's a little word of encouragement found in 1 Thessalonians 5:24, "He who calls you is faithful; he will surely do it" (ESV). When God calls you to be faithful, just as He is faithful, He's going to help make it happen. Take the risk; do your part to end the faithfulness shortage!

NOTICE: This Bible Study or Devotional is solely penned and/or owned by the person(s) or ministry who's website(s) are included with each. I merely copy and paste them for the sole purpose of spreading God's Word to the world. May the Holy Spirit give you understanding as you read this Devotional/Study. GBU, JEL!

Bible Minute with Woodrow Kroll ... Back to the Bible, Bible Studies
http://www.bibleminute.org/biblestudy.htm