www.kellstransportmuseum.com - Irelands Operating Bus Museum

Welcome to the Kells Transport Museum Message Board. We welcome messages from everyone relating to the museum and its buses but anything to do with insults or personalities is banned. You must put your e-mail on any message you post or else it will be deleted.  This is stricty enforced.  No password is required. Your message is welcome.

NO E-MAIL  NO POST

www.kellstransportmuseum.com - Irelands Operating Bus Museum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
AEC Buses

Had a look thru your site.very interesting.
I am based in Australia and apon looking thru your list of manufacturers noticed AEC missing from that rather extensive list.
As an owner of one of the last AECs built before the marque's untimely demise in 1979,I was wondering if Kell's Transport museum intends on buying any .
I own a rear engine Swift with a 760 motor hooked to a 5 speed Wilson self changing gear transmission.Charming machine but it likes it's diesel fuel(lots of it).
I would like to see pics of your current collection but is under construction it seems.
Have you considered making this section a work in progress and gradually adding more pictures as you get around to photographing all of your buses for us to enjoy.
Thanks

Re: AEC Buses

It just so happens no AEC have comne our way. Equally AEC was not a marque much in evidence in Ireland. However, we will get a few sooner or later.

As regards photos I agree they shoudl be there.

We have just reorganised the main page and now that that is done will proceed to getting the photos in line.

It should not be too much longer as it is the next task.

Where are you in Australia and I will try and stop by?

Michael Grimes

Re: AEC Buses

Ok,Micheal,I look forward to seeing the pics.
AEC is not much in evidence here in Australia nowadays as it used to be up till the 1980s.
AECs are very rare now but a couple of examples are used on whats called charter operations here in Sydney.
I don't know if you are familiar with the term charter but it means for special one off runs to ,say,an outing or a sports event,wedding etc,not regular route work.
These remaining AECs are both the same type i described above but have different bodys (thats 3 types!)
Also I must mention that a country town in N.S.W has 6 AEC 760 Swifts,used for school runs only, that it will probably sell off soon due to age restrictions coming into effect next year(chassis must be no older than 25 years).
The bus and Truck Museum in NSW has some marvellous AEC,Leyland and Albion double deckers from the 1930s thru to 1950s that are well worth a look.
They also have AEC and Leyland single deckers from Sydney's pastas well as other makes such as White and Daimler. Even a couple of Mercedes Benz from the 1970s are in the collection.
You are also welcome to take a look and ride(if it's going then)in my bus which is stored in Western Sydney ,should you come this way.
I wish you all the very best in this chosen passion.(lets face it,you really need to be passionate about this hobby sometimes lol)

Re: Re: AEC Buses

James, would you be kind enough to contact me off site at busmuseum@hotmail.com so I can have your e-mail.

Michael