www.kellstransportmuseum.com - Irelands Operating Bus Museum

Welcome to the Kells Transport Museum Message Board. We welcome messages from everyone relating to the museum and its buses but anything to do with insults or personalities is banned. You must put your e-mail on any message you post or else it will be deleted.  This is stricty enforced.  No password is required. Your message is welcome.

NO E-MAIL  NO POST

www.kellstransportmuseum.com - Irelands Operating Bus Museum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: d711 and kd184

why not store them indoors so if ye cant afford to restore them at the moment instead of letting them rot ?

it would make sense to stop spending money on northern buses that noone wants and put it into the cie buses that people want... then maybe people might take you seriously. stop wasting cash on buses noone wants and save whats left of the irish stuff that people remember. we understand that its a scam for payne in the holes illegal business but still cop on and we might take you seriously

just thinking this will more than likely be deleted... so much for 'your views'

The only problems about the CIE buses that people remember are, that they were run so much into the ground that it is taking us ages to get one vehicle up and running that is Ex CIE. Currently we have 2 KR's, a KC, a long and a short SS, an M, a PL, along with R913 & CVH 1. All are being refurbished in Dublin alongside our Private Operator Vehicles.

While it may look as though Kells is only interested in Northern stuff, well thats what Michael is focusing on, where as most of the ROI members are involved in refurbishing the CIE, Bus Eireann, Dublin Bus as well as a few Private Operator Vehicles. Unfortunatly we do not get as much web space as the Ulsterbus vehicles, mainly as the work we do gets carried out off site.

KD 184 will be done up, her frame has been treated in the last 2 weeks, her engine is running, and she is selecting all gears, her drive shaft is warped and her brakes need attention, but alas she is moving around the depot herself. As for D711, her frame is in need of major work that none of us will be able to tackle in the future, and so she will be left, but at least we have D839, 830, 464 etc so all is not lost in the D category.

As regards the views of spending money, all the funding for the CIE vehicles we refurbish is made up by the people working on them, and has been for some time.

I do agree with you on the Ulsterbus Issue, as we have far too many now, and good vehicles both Private & CIE are being lost. Though some vehicles are getting through, as an ex Dublin Bus AD, as well as a Bus Eireann PD have been saved for preservation in the last few weeks. One made it from Galway to Dublin to be preserved!
Stephen Payne

Re: D711 and KD184

I recommend sending D711 to a firm called the busworks. Its in Blackpool but they do great work and it should definately be looked at if it means saving D711

D711 had fallen foul of the elements well before myself and Stephen got to it.

The upper saloon floor is severely rotten, poor anti-corrosion protection and being open to the Irish weather for the past decade have left it in a state where the bus is unstable structurally.

I don't believe that it could even make it out of Cork without the help of a lowloader and a bottomless pit of money. I don't think it could be done, if you visit and see for yourself you would agree.

KD184 is structurally sound. It requires some welding to the windscreen area and some work underneath. It needs some windows fitted, which we have, a complete interior refurbishment, and some precautionary mechanical work on top of the current list of work to be carried out. We have pieced together most of the electrics, and it runs on an IV drip!

Unfortunately, getting KD184 up to a reasonable condition could cost up to €40,000+ to outsource the work.

What kc class have ye got ? I thought there was a good few in reasonable condition ?