www.kellstransportmuseum.com - Irelands Operating Bus Museum

Welcome to the Kells Transport Museum Message Board. We welcome messages from everyone relating to the museum and its buses but anything to do with insults or personalities is banned. You must put your e-mail on any message you post or else it will be deleted.  This is stricty enforced.  No password is required. Your message is welcome.

NO E-MAIL  NO POST

www.kellstransportmuseum.com - Irelands Operating Bus Museum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: Stolen Nationals

I am sorry but whatever way you look at it a Leyland National is not Irish Heritage.

If I had left a scrap bus at the side of a road for that long it would be no surprise to me to find it had been towed away.

Stee

Re: Re: Re: Stolen Nationals

Nobody is trying to claim it as Irish Transport Heritage, but what they are trying to do is preserve the historic vehicles for future generations.

A large portion of the KTM fleet is comprised of UK vehicles, and many are rare examples and irreplacable. Who says that we must only preserve Irish Transport Heritage? Okay, maybe it would get priority but it is still important to preserve these historic vehicles that without KTM would deffinitly meet the unmercyless wrath of the scrapper!

Okay, many of the vehicles look rough, and may be considered scrap upon a quick glance of a photo online. But from having worked on many vehicles while down with KTM I've experienced that they look worse than they actually are! A good clean, polish and tidy can do the world of a difference! Turning a bus considered a worthless piece of junk, into a presentable vehicle in A1 condition.

Aaron Donohoe
MVPSI

Re: Re: Re: Re: Stolen Nationals

Your average person on the street cannot relate to any of these buses. All these ex-hakker Plaxtons and English Yokes is stuff which is common in the UK. Yes they may have operated here but they have no place in irish heritige. The effort really goes in vain on all that stuff. There's plenty of UK lads gettin on with it.. One could say 'good for spares' but the time is here and now to do work worthwhile and not be dossing. One can aqurire and collect and collect but it is not moving fowards. Better having a few in good nick than many in poor condition. I don't see who these buses are being collected for? The future generations I know will bother with these ex-hakker yokes.. The open air storage is just rusting them jepridising anything future usage anyway.

Yours,
Brian Griffin
Tuam
Co.Galway

Nationals spending most of their life in Ireland

With regard to Nationals they were the mainstay at Dublin Airport for far longer than their initial life with the U.K. operator so they are highly relevant to Ireland.

If you insist on Irish Buses only you are left with Bombardier and nothing else so it would not be much of a museum with them only. Furthermore we are far larger than any UK museum and we have a far larger collection of British Buses and does it really matter what country they are in? It's a bit like saying County Clare should not have County Dublin buses, forgetting the fact that we are all in one country known as the EU.

And what gives Brian the idea our buses are not in good nick? He has never visited us has no idea what our facilities are and in my view is an armchair general. How many buses has he in his collection and what are they as I am sure our readers would like to share the information? If he has none he is in no position to criticise.

For example this weekend we have done fabulous work and I have just come from hard work with Colum Lydon in that we washed KC 157 which had ten years of dirt on the roof.It took three hours believe it or not for both of us. She is now ready for painting and will join KC 129 in our prime KC collection. We are now working on KC 152, 153, 159, 160 and 169 as well as KC 35 to bring them all back to service condition. Is that a bad thing?

Maybe Brian might come down next weekend and help us do the next one!

Anyhow we are a european museum, we collect european buses which INCLUDES Irish ones and that is that.

Michael Grimes

Painting

Michael

do you stip the paint off the panels or are you just paint over the old paint, and dose the museum brush or spray paint the buses

Re: Nationals spending most of their life in Ireland

Michael,

I'm afraid I and others do not share some of your views (personal and political). Support for what you are doing for preservation is certainly limited due to your opinions and actions (source: This message board). You are not a registerd museum and your persistence against government and local council will not yeild you any recognition or funding..

Brian Griffin
Tuam
Co.Galway