Philly Runners -- Welcome

Welcome to our Philly Runners forum. This message board is provided for running-related discussion in the Philadelphia area and around the world. You are welcome to start your own topics and reply to others.

You don't need to post only running-related items, but commercial interests don't have a business being on here (unless you're trying to sell your used treadmill, for example). We don't have "rules" but will try to use our best good-faith judgment. 

Please do not list the full name of anybody other than yourself. Please use first names only or first name plus first letter of last name. Messages that include full names will be deleted. 

When starting a topic for an event with a specific date, please list the date of the event in the subject line. For example: "Media 5 Miler Friday June 17".

Some posts will be deleted after a while due to space limitations. Have fun, and please be sure to visit our main website for more information on our club and more running-related information.

Philly Runners Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Visiting Philly this week

Hello,
My name is Chris Schaaf and I live in Ohio but will be visiting Philly later this week. I was wanting to get some runs in and check out Philly while I was in town. We will be staying near University of Penn campus on Chestnut Street. I saw on your maps that I can run Chestnut to Schuylkill River Park and wanted to ask is it safe to run by myself? Do I need to pack my pepperspray? Is there a time that is safer to run?

Thank you,
Chris

Re: Visiting Philly this week

Hi Chris.

Welcome to Philly!

Chestnut Street from University City over to the river is pretty safe, especially during daylight hours, which these days is about 5:30am-8:30pm. How far west on Chestnut Street will you be?

The rest of the park is reasonably safe too. That being said, if you have pepper spray and are comfortable running with it, you might as well bring it along. You're better off with the pepper spray than without it.

You're welcome at any of our runs, of course. Tues/Thurs evening and Saturday mornings.

And there's more info on safety on our Safety Page here:
http://www.phillyrunners.org/safety.html

Enjoy your time in Philly!

We rented an apartment between 45th and 46th. Airbnb said that it was safe during the day but the evenings to not be walking around.lol.

thank you
chris

I think that's about right. It's really an all right neighborhood, but there's more going on as you head east and approach the Penn Campus. To the east of 40th st. you're more in the Penn cocoon.