Philly Runners -- Welcome

Welcome to our Philly Runners forum. This message board is provided for running-related discussion in the Philadelphia area and around the world. You are welcome to start your own topics and reply to others.

You don't need to post only running-related items, but commercial interests don't have a business being on here (unless you're trying to sell your used treadmill, for example). We don't have "rules" but will try to use our best good-faith judgment. 

Please do not list the full name of anybody other than yourself. Please use first names only or first name plus first letter of last name. Messages that include full names will be deleted. 

When starting a topic for an event with a specific date, please list the date of the event in the subject line. For example: "Media 5 Miler Friday June 17".

Some posts will be deleted after a while due to space limitations. Have fun, and please be sure to visit our main website for more information on our club and more running-related information.

Forum: Philly Runners Message Board
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Volunteer with Rebuilding Together Philadelphia Saturday June 3

Hi all. I am hoping to put together a group of volunteers to help with some home improvement on Saturday June 3. I'm already signed up. We need about 10 people.

Yes, this will conflict with the Saturday club run.

No, this isn't exactly running related, but this organization is also hosting a 5K on Saturday, May 20 (you can register for that here: http://www.rebuildingphilly.org/runtorebuild, which is how I heard about them in the first place.

We used to volunteer with Philabundance, but we stopped doing that because they stopped having weekend volunteer opportunities, so I hope people will find this to be a worthwhile alternative.

If you sign up, please post here and let me know.

Here's some info:

Rebuilding Together Philadelphia (RTP)'s mission is to bring volunteers and communities together to improve the homes and lives of low-income homeowners. Since 1988, RTP repairs have transformed 1,444 vulnerable houses into safe and healthy homes. RTP's renovations improve the health and safety of residents and are based on 25 Health and Safety Goals developed in collaboration with the National Center for Healthy Housing. RTP targets distressed communities--prioritizing homeowners who are elderly, disabled, families with children and veterans. Many of our families live in terrible conditions--from pest infestation to non-working appliances to bathrooms that lack plumbing. All homeowners we assist must have an income of 80% area median income (AMI) or less. Half of our homeowners have income under 30% of AMI; for a family of four that is no more than $24,300.

More info can be found at http://www.rebuildingphilly.org

West Oak Lane Block Build: 6700 Block of N. Bouvier Street

Schedule for Saturday:

8:30 Volunteers arrive and check-in
8:50 Welcome & Kick-off
8:50-12:30 Volunteers begin repair projects 12:30-1:15 Lunch (provided by RTP)
1:15-3:00 Volunteers complete projects
3:00-4:00 Cleanup/Materials packing

How to Prepare, What to Bring and Wear:

Volunteers should wear work clothes that can get dirt and paint on them. Everyone should wear long pants and closed-toe shoes. Bring a water bottle, hat, gloves, sunscreen, and/or rain gear depending on the weather — our Rebuilding Days are rain or shine. RTP will provide all the needed tools and materials, although you are welcome to bring your own tools if you prefer.

Register

Pre-register via the website here http://rebuildingtogether.civicore.com/VolunteerApp/index.cfm?Affiliate_ID=34. Select “West Oak Lane, June 3rd" for the project, and be sure to include the group name Philly Runners in the “I prefer to work with the following group or person” field.

Email  
Get your own FREE Forum today! 
Report Content ·  · Web Calendars   Free Blogs   Free Guestbooks   Free Web Hosting 
powered by Powered by Bravenet bravenet.com