Philly Runners -- Welcome

Welcome to our Philly Runners forum. This message board is provided for running-related discussion in the Philadelphia area and around the world. You are welcome to start your own topics and reply to others.

You don't need to post only running-related items, but commercial interests don't have a business being on here (unless you're trying to sell your used treadmill, for example). We don't have "rules" but will try to use our best good-faith judgment. 

Please do not list the full name of anybody other than yourself. Please use first names only or first name plus first letter of last name. Messages that include full names will be deleted. 

When starting a topic for an event with a specific date, please list the date of the event in the subject line. For example: "Media 5 Miler Friday June 17".

Some posts will be deleted after a while due to space limitations. Have fun, and please be sure to visit our main website for more information on our club and more running-related information.

Forum: Philly Runners Message Board
Start a New Topic 
   Board|Threaded
Author
Comment
Fill in the blank: The silliest question I've ever been asked by a non-runner is __________

How long is the furthest marathon you've run?

Email  
Re: Fill in the blank: The silliest question I've ever been asked by a non-runner is __________

What do you think about when you are running?

Re: Fill in the blank: The silliest question I've ever been asked by a non-runner is __________

The silliest question I've ever been asked by a non-runner is __________

Doesn’t running hurt your knees?

Email  

Don't you get tired?

Wait, so you don't just run a marathon (distance) to train for a marathon?

Email  

Did you win?

(after a race)

Once the non-runner finally figures out how far a marathon is:

Are you crazy??

And yes, I think the answer sometimes appears to be yes!

Do you pee on yourself?

Doesn't running laps on the track make you dizzy?

While shopping in Athleta:
I picked up a hat and asked the salesgirl if she had any that said 13.1.

Her reply: "13.1? What's that?"

Your Favorite Running Shoe: Brooks Pure Cadence

I went to a shoe store where I used to buy my running sneakers (before discovering Rittenhouse Sports):

Seth: Do you have these Asics in a size 11? (they were about $80).

Salesman: We're out of stock, but these Asics over here are the same color (about $40).

Seth: Are they as good running shoes?

Salesman: No.

Email  

After having a very nice chat with someone who seemed genuinely curious about training.

Q: Did you do a marathon?
A: Yes, I've done a few.
Q: Did you run one this year.
A: Yes, actually I did 3 this year.
Q: Do you have to train a lot?
A: Yes, I actually ran about 1700 miles this year.
Q: What the f-k is wrong with you???

Conversation terminated. But I laughed for 2 days.

Your Next Race & Date: Bassman triathlon 2012

Your Favorite Running Shoe: Asic Numbus 13

Email  

So you're running a marathon? At what point do you start your sprint for the finish line? Mile 22? Mile 23?

Email  

Q: What do you do when it rains?

A: I get wet.

"Is the Philly Runners club run cancelled?"

(Okay, even runners have asked that!)

Your Next Race & Date: Schuylkill Mile Time Trial April 1, 2012

Your Favorite Running Shoe: Brooks Adrenalie... or barefoot!

Email  

You know that running a marathon is bad for your heart, right?

(asked by someone whose resting heart rate is roughly 75% higher than mine)

Do you laugh every time someone yells "run Forrest, run!"?

Why do you put black toe nail polish on just a few of your toe nails?

Email  

Ummmm...what do you do when...ummmm...you have to...ummmm...go to the bathroom? If you know what I mean...

This honestly just happened to me at a work Christmas party this past week.

Q) Why do you run?
A) I don't know. There isn't really one specific reason.

Q) But why?
A) I guess because I love it? I mean, I really enjoy running.

Q) No, but why??
A) Ummm, well, it's fun for me and makes me feel good about myself.

Q) No, no, but why????
A) (blank stare)

I think I'll have to chalk this conversation up to the questioner having one (or three) too many beers by that point.

I guess I just hang out with the wrong kind of people. Here's another one:

"Why do you run so much? Don't you know that running too much is bad for your health? It can kill you...it killed Jim Fixx. He ran so much that his heart became so strong, it caused his death".

Me: "Huh?".

"The human heart is a muscle and Jim Fixx's heart got so strong it became enlarged and killed him. What happens when you workout other body muscles? They become strong and enlarged".

Me: "Huh?".

For those of you born after 1984 when he died, Jim Fixx was a 1977 best selling author and he's credited with helping start America's fitness revolution (more info on Wikipedia, if you care).

Email  
Re:

I can always count on my family for a good one every now and then.

This past Sunday (Christmas day), grandma asked, "Dougie, you aren't going to run today, are you? Not on Christmas?"