Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports

This message board has been closed, please visit our
new board by clicking here.

Kerr / Buggs Island Visitors Fishing Reports
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Gar

went out today for a few hours drifting for catfish with no luck. we notice quite a few gars breaking the water all around the boat so we decided to try to catch a few but couldn't get them to bite. I was wondering if anybody knew of any good methods for fishing for gar

Re: Gar

Wahoo,its a long way from you but theres a big fishing store in georgia(hammonds fishing) that is close to lake lanier,a big striper lake.They sell a gar lure,its a bucktail but instead of bucktail it has what looks like a heater wick that when he hits it the gar gets his teeth hung in it.They have several photos and a mount of fish that was caught with them.The guy at the store says most dont target the gar but when they happen to see fish they cast to them.Do a google search for hammonds,they might have a picture .they also carry about 5 brands of bait tanks....

There are 2 ways I have found to catch gar. If using a hook, you will need any type of minnow/shad. The key here is to let the fish swallow the hook. You will have to be real patient and not set the hook. Just let him take the bait and keep going with no resistance. Use a hook that will rust, when u land him cut the line.
The other post was about rope lures. Take a piece of nylon rope, ty a knot towards what will be the head, then fray out the back of the rope. No hook is on the bait, they just get their teeth stuck in the wad of rope.
I have caught them on jigs too. The only thing was when they got by shore they opened their mouth and were gone. No hook will stick in a gars mouth.

caught a couple of gar on cut bream on main channel points past railroad bridge from clarksville and for anyone who is interested cauught some nice crappie on 1st pillon @ knew bridge {clark.} side.

Without specifically targeting them I have caught several on Blue/Chrome rattletraps. Yes, they will stay hooked, now getting them released has proven interesting.

Hey gar fishing is a hoot especially those bigguns,heres a easy trick to use,take a bucktail or any lure you can cast,cut a v shaped piece of silk cloth or nylon cloth and attach it to the rear of lure when he hits it his teeth get stuck and you have Gar On! Good luck!

I have caught several in the James River with live white perch using the same single hook rig most of you guys use for cat fishing. When I was on vacation a couple of weeks ago at rudds creek I let go a brim when he was half dead after using him for catfishing. As he half floated and half swam away from the bank I watched a Gar push him around with his long nose. It looked like a marlin the way the bill comes out of the water when its chasing a trolled bait in the ocean.

hi all,

so far everytime me and my fishing partners go out fising. (always for catfish). We always catch atleast 1 gar.

This last trip to bugss island, we fished from blueston to the fork.

My friend earl caught 2 gar, both between 6-10 pounds. 1 hit on a suspended shad, and 1 on bottom rig shad.

your thoughts!?

wow, no one else has any exsperiences with gar. lol!, come on people.

grow a sack and maybe u can catch something

something has in!?

Well their heck on a cast net, good for killing and steeling bait. And they do seem to hang around cats and stripers. Have caught them almost every way but deep and have run out of bait because of them in the river. They also fraying leaders. Nothing against them, other than time and money.